Tuesday 3 September 2013

Who Will Stand With the Innocents?

By Sam Hamill

Sam Hamill, Writing for Peace Advisor"Fifty years ago, I found myself in the war-ravaged former nation of Okinawa, where some of the fiercest battles of the Pacific War had taken place, and where I began to learn of the true atrocities of the atomic bombing of Japan. I also heard there from fellow Marines first-hand accounts of the race wars in my own country, about lynchings, about Bull Conner’s dogs set on nonviolent civil rights marchers, stories I had known only from brief news accounts. I learned about how the impoverished people of Vietnam had driven out the imperialist French and now faced a growing American presence as they struggled toward their own democratic self-rule. President Eisenhower had spoken of our need “to protect our investments in tin and tungsten.”"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Happening Here

Apart from a war that kills innocent children,  my nervous system feels as though this is another war against life and living. This has been...